The Best Vegan Banana Bread Recipe
Team Doozy isn't always making ice cream, although we find it hard to stop creating delightful treats. When we have some free time, we like to test and perfect new recipes to enjoy at home. We often hear that our fan favorite Banana Cinnamon Date vegan gelato tastes like banana bread, so we were inspired to create a banana bread that's just like our gelato.
After many rounds of R&D and taste tests, Kirsten has perfected a recipe for vegan banana bread and it's ready for prime time! This recipe is lightly sweetened and has the perfect hint of spice. The addition of hemp hearts and oats add texture and a hit of extra nutrients like fiber & protein.
Without further ado...
Presenting our version of the World's Best Vegan Banana Bread
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbsp avocado or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons date syrup (we love The Date Lady)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons hemp seed hearts (+ 1 tbsp for topping)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (we love the single origin Burlap & Barrel Royal Cinnamon which we use in our gelato)
Sometimes we mix it up even more and add in spices like ginger, chai spices or cardamom and if we're really going for it we'll add chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds or blueberries. There is no wrong way!
(Actually - speaking from experience there is. Don't confuse cardamom pods with pumpkin seeds 😅)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a loaf pan with coconut oil or cooking spray
- In a large bowl, mash the banana until smooth.
- Stir in the oils, date syrup, sugar and vanilla into the banana until well combined.
- Fold the oats, hemp hearts, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and flour into the banana mixture and stir until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the oiled pan and spread evenly. Top with hemp hearts.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until lightly golden and firm on top. Ovens often vary so use your best judgement on total cook time. Test for doneness with a toothpick, if it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Place on a cooling rack for 30 minutes and enjoy, it's especially good with a big scoop of Banana Cinnamon Date gelato. 💛
A quick note on ingredients, when we're cooking at home we look to use ingredients that are aligned with our Doozy Pots ethos of "better for you and better for the planet". A great place to find ingredients like organic & regenerative coconut oil, organic oats & flour and sugar is Thrive Market. Using ingredients such as certified regenerative organic coconut oil and whole wheat flour means the coconut palms and wheat crops were grown in a manner that increases soil health and promotes biodiversity, without harsh chemicals, by workers paid and treated fairly.